Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Finding the Ranch




Getting to Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch is similar to looking for an unnamed roadside trail. The website gives these directions: "The ranch is located 9 miles South of Stanley, Idaho on Highway 75 between milepost markers 180 and 181, on the route of the Salmon River." I drove by the ranch two or three times, before finally turning in. The sign wasn't up yet, so while guests would find it easily during season, it was a guessing game for myself and other new employees.

The view on the drive from Stanley to the ranch makes paying attention to the road difficult. Granite pillars thick with snow rise jagged along the Salmon River on my right. The Sawtooths are majestic in a way the short mountains of my Massachusetts home will never be.

I drove down a long gravel driveway and met with "dips," the speed bumps of Idaho, I guess, since they're also in town. The dips are ditches like dried streambeds crossing the road. If I'm not careful, the back end of my Focus wagon will slam down hard. The driveway crosses a small bridge, which empties into a pond on the left. Ahead, at the top of the hill stands a great log cabin--the Lodge. Spread out sparsley around the grounds are smaller log cabins--places to stay for our wealthy guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment